Monday, November 9, 2009

Thanksgiving Wreath


I loved all the leaf filled wreaths out there, both in blogger world and around my neighborhood. But I wanted something different. I was inspired by a pine cone wreath photo that was sent to me by one of my fellow craft group members. But being on a very tight budget lately with Christmas coming, I decided to improvise.

First the kids and I did a "service project" and picked up a huge bag of pine cones out of the yard of a neighbor (we got permission first)


Jr G said something along the lines of "Are you making us do this for a craft?" and Big G said something like "Yea, and she can't spend more money cause dad will get made at her!" Luckily, MayMay was there to back me up! Then I used my 40% off coupon at my LCS and bought a big, beautiful grapevine wreath only $8!
I used some bright orange, sheer ribbon I had on hand an made a bow. I wired the bow to the wreath.

Then I used my well loved glue gun and began gluing the pinecones on to the wreath. This tool some patience, as the pine cones have to be held in place until the hot glue sets a bit. At first they were all glued flat. But I wanted some depth to it, so I would add a pinecone first,

and use that pine cone as a support to lean other ones against it. It gives the wreath a more layered look.


Once I glued pinecones all the way around the wreath (which it was hard to cover up that beautiful grapevine!)I tucked in a few pieces of wheat. Remember this

garage sale find? I never could fall in love with it. So cut the wheat off of there.

Then Sunday when we went and had big family pictures taken at Mr Toadly Craft's family barn.


Mr Toadly Crafty ran into a buddy who was pheasant hunting. When I saw the beautiful feathers on the pheasant, I made Mr Toadly Crafty ask him for them. He said something about as long as they aren't for some stupid craft.....to which the MR rolled his eyes. He wouldn't give up the tail feathers, I guess those are some big prize for a hunter or something.

I tucked in some silk fall leaves and added a little brown ribbon and

TaDa, it is done!




giveaways
And Guess what? I still have half a bag of pine cones!!

4 comments:

The Umbergers said...

I love it! It looks so cute on your front door! I am thinking about making me one!

nana rosie said...

It turned out so cute! I love it! Did you let may-may glitter spray it? Ha-ha!

Steph @ somewhatsimple said...

That is DANG cute! I love it!

Anonymous said...

What a great web log. I spend hours on the net reading blogs, about tons of various subjects. I have to first of all give praise to whoever created your theme and second of all to you for writing what i can only describe as an fabulous article. I honestly believe there is a skill to writing articles that only very few posses and honestly you got it. The combining of demonstrative and upper-class content is by all odds super rare with the astronomic amount of blogs on the cyberspace.